Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cabbage Paratha


Parathas, stuffed or otherwise have always been my favorite. They are the easiest way of sneaking in vegetables into our kids meals. I often find myself preparing these kinds of veggie infused parathas for my daughter’s lunch box. She does not require any side dish for this and usually has it with some ketchup. So while I was browsing through Sangee’s space, Spicy Treats, known for her innovative recipes, for this week’s blog hop, I found the recipe for these yummy Cabbage Parathas. I usually grind the cabbage, while making these, but this time I followed Sangee’s method and all of us enjoyed the slight crunch of the shredded cabbage and onions in between the bites. You can find the original recipe here.


Makes 8 to 10 parathas

What you’ll need

1. Wheat Flour – 2 cups + more for dusting
2. Finely Shredded Cabbage – ½ cup
3. Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
4. Coriander Leaves – a small bunch
5. Green Chilly – 1
6. Ginger – a small piece
7. Carom seeds/Ajwain – ½ tsp
8. Salt to taste
9. Oil – 1 tbsp
10. Water for kneading

Method

1. Grind together coriander leaves, green chilly and ginger into a fine paste without adding any water.
2. In a wide bowl, Add wheat flour, carom seeds, salt and oil. Mix it well with your hands, so that the oil gets merged well in the flour.
3. Now add the Coriander chilly paste, shredded cabbage and onion. Mix well.
4. Now add water little by little and knead into stiff dough. Rest the dough for about 10 minutes.
5. Pinch out a lemon sized ball of dough, roll it on some dry flour, flatten and roll out into chapattis, dusting on dry flour as and when required.
6. Heat a tava, place the prepared chapatti on the hot tava and cook on medium flame. Apply a tsp of oil, flip it over and add another tsp of oil and spread it. Cook till brown spots appear.
Enjoy these hot parathas with a raita or curry of your choice.



Note:

Do not add too much water while kneading, since the cabbage and onions will give out water and loosen the dough upon resting.

Linking this to Blog Hop Wednesday and to Healthy Lunch Ideas hosted by Kavi

42 comments:

Meenal Mehta said...

Hello Kaveri , nice to meet you.loved this wonderful new take on a paratha.
Stopped by to say hello..hope you do the same when you get a moment :)

Unknown said...

Cabbage paratha looks awesome.

Priya Suresh said...

Cabbage paratha looks absolutely healthy,personally i feel this is one of the best way to sneak cabbages..

Santosh Bangar said...

healthy pratha .i have also gven the recipe little different versio see it

veena said...

wow!!!wat a nice way to use cabbage!!1looks very nice

Anonymous said...

yummy and delicious paratha.
indu srinivasan
kattameethatheeka.blogspot.com

Radhika said...

Love the clicks Kaveri.

Prathima Rao said...

Nice presentaion & soft & mouthwatering parathas ;)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Binys Recipes said...

sounds good....thx for another recipe with cabbage

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Yummy,delicious and healthy parathas.

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Delicious looking comfort food. Very yummy.

Priya Sreeram said...

good one ! looks yum

Suja Manoj said...

Love the stuffing,looks super delicious

Sumee said...

love the stuffed parathas, easy to get it in kids..

Vineetha Sush said...

Nice variety of paratha..never stuffed cabbage..I will keep this is mind next time I m making paratha.

Christy Gerald said...

Delicious and Healthy Parota Dear.Luks perfect and Yumm.

Aarthi said...

i too have a similar recipe..this looks yummy

Julie said...

lovely parathas..never tried with cabbage!!
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

Suma Gandlur said...

Yummy rotis. What a coincidence, had cabbage - carrot rotis for our lunch today.

Swathi said...

Cabbage paratha looks delicious.

aipi said...

Beautifully made parathas!
USMasala

Unknown said...

Parathas are perfectly made kaveri. I love this type too.

Kalyani said...

looks perfectly and delicious parathas ....

Amina said...

parathas look perfect... delicious..

Kalyani said...

looks good and yummy !


Kalyani
200th Post Giveaway
Do join us on the Magic Mingle

Francesca said...

This looks delicious, we lived in New Delhi for 5 years and my daughter loved parathas. I am following you from Rome, Italy but I am Sicilian and my husband is Japanese. You have great recipes, makes me nostalgic for India.

Kavi said...

thanks for linking your post! Love cabbage! Do check out my blog in a few days for the Roundup. Following you now :)

-
Kavi | Edible Entertainment
Please participate in my ongoing events:
Jingle All The Way &
Microwave Easy Cooking

rajani said...

Nice looking parathas

Sobha Shyam said...

wonderful idea, healthy parathas..

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

so tasty n fullfilling...love it kaveri..:)
Tasty Appetite

Unknown said...

I don't know if this one will fly in my home - altho my son is getting over his intense dislike for cabbage - but surely worth trying! looks yummy Kaveri

Ramakrishnan said...

Hi, Just dropped by. I love everything about Palakkad and I travel there frequently. And I love paranthas in any form,shape and content.Though chapatis/paranthas are primarily of North Indian/Punjabi origin they are fast becoming staple food in many South Indian homes.
I am sure your paranthas are as yummy as they come.

createwithmom said...

this cabbage paratha looks wonderful

Ganga Sreekanth said...

Very healthy and delicious paratha..

Raksha said...

I too prepared cabbage paratha last week :) Good one.

Kalyan said...

Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

Asmita said...

I love cabbage parathas! Had them once at one of my friend's house . These look so yum.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Healthy parathas!!!

Kavi said...

Thanks so much for linking your entry to my HCC event! :) Find your entry in the Roundup Part I , Part II or Part III

Also, please do participate in my ongoing events:
Jingle All The Way &
Microwave Easy Cooking
Thanks,
Kavi (Edible Entertainment)

hemalata said...

Yummy n healthy parathas.

Gopika Ram said...

A yummy and healthy recipe

Archana said...

Beautiful parathas dear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...