Thursday, November 10, 2011

Carrot Kheer / Carrot Payasam




There was time when the word payasam meant Paal Payasam, Nei Payasam or Semiya Payasam. One would’ve never imagined preparing a payasam out of carrots, bottle gourd, apples etc. At such a time, there was this person (who is no more now) whom I look up to. She was my mother’s Athai (Aunt), who lived in Mumbai. She was an expert cook, who at the age of 70 had the passion to learn and try out new things.

I remember a dinner she had hosted on behalf of my grandfather, for a newly married couple. I was one of the lucky ones who got to taste all the goodies that she had prepared. The menu consisted of a soup, Masala Dosa with 3 varieties of Chutenys, Vada, Vegetable pulao and this classic Carrot Kheer.

That was the first time (I was about 15 yrs old) I tasted a payasam other than the 3 mentioned above. I really fell for it. I asked my mom to immediately make note of the recipe and to this date we, me and my mom follow the same recipe.

What you’ll need

1.       Milk – 2.5 cups
2.       Carrots – 3
3.       Sugar – ½ cup
4.       Cashew nuts – 4 + few more
5.       Raisins – few
6.       Cardamom Powder – a pinch
7.       Ghee – 1 tsp



Method

1.       Soak about 4 whole cashew nuts in hot water.
2.       Wash, peel and slice carrots into thin slices. Pressure cook these carrot slices with ½ cup of milk.
3.       Once the pressure releases, grind the carrots with the cashew nuts into a smooth paste. Keep aside.
4.       Boil the milk in a heavy bottom vessel, keep stirring in between so that the milk does not overflow. Let the milk boil in low flame for about 10 minutes or till it is reduced a little.
5.       Now add the carrot paste to the milk and stir well. Let this simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
6.       Now add the sugar and stir well. Simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes.
7.       Remove from heat.
8.       In a small frying pan, heat ghee, fry the cashewnuts and raisins and add it to the payasam. Also add the cardamom powder and mix well.



Yummy carrot kheer is ready. Serve it hot or cold.

Linking this to the Winter Carnival happening at Tickling Palates.

32 comments:

Aruna Manikandan said...

Healthy and delicious kheer :)

Faseela said...

Superb n healthy kheer......

Keep going

Santosh Bangar said...

yummy delicious kheer

Radhika said...

Very delicious looking kheer.

Priya Suresh said...

Yumm, healthy and super rich looking payasam..

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

creamy and healthy kheer

Indian Khana said...

Healthy, yummy n creamy ....nice pics

Tina said...

Yummy payasam..

Suja Manoj said...

Yummy and healthy kheer..

Archana said...

Hmm so yummy. Thanks you have given me an idea.

Hosting an event which I am calling Back to our Roots Also hosting for Nov’11 Veggie Food for the Month_Raw Banana. Please do send me your entries.

Julie said...

Yummmmmmmmy yum innovative payasam!!

Neha said...

Very yummy Payasam...

divya said...

Sounds very interesting and tempting.. thanks for the awesome recipe :)

Sangeetha M said...

wow...very healthy yet delicious payasam...never tried this before n want to try it ASAP :)
lovely presentation n clicks are super !!

aipi said...

Full of all the yum ingredients, delish n scrummy kheer!
USMasala

Amina Creations said...

delicious and healthy kheer...

chef and her kitchen said...

very delicious kheer..looks yumm

Shylaja said...

Healthy and delicious kheer

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Super Delicious one, I love carrot kheer and yours look awesome.

Prathima Rao said...

yummilicious kheer....
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Nandinis food said...

Wow! Kheer is very delicious and yummy! Slurp!

Raksha said...

Superb and delicious payasam. Too good

Vineetha Sush said...

I love this payasam,my amma makes this,but I never tried myself.I m sure my lil one will love it,goodway to make him eat some carrots :)

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Yummy... and healthy kheer.

Vidhya said...

Delicious and so very healthy.

Amila said...

look so tasty...
Midweek Fiesta @every Wednesday

anthony stemke said...

Good use of carrots.

Sobha Shyam said...

yummy and healthy payasam dear..plz collect an award from my space :)

Urmi said...

Unique recipe. Looks yummy and mouth watering.

notyet100 said...

Presentation is too good,..payasam looks yum,.

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

kheer looks yummy and mouth watering.healthy kheer too..

Unknown said...

2.5 cups means how many liters?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...