Sunday, November 27, 2011

Gobi Manchurian


Here is yet another family favorite. This is one dish that I would’ve decided to order in the restaurant, even before leaving home. But when it comes to making this at home, I make it only once in a year, and that would be sometime during the winter months, when fresh white and dense gobis are available.

There is a small incident which comes to my mind whenever I make or have Manchurian. It was the time we were living in Bangalore, and had just moved to a new apartment. My SIL and her daughter who was just 10 months old had come over and since we had just shifted, the house was a big mess and the kitchen totally unsettled. So we decided to have lunch outside and as was the norm I ordered for Gobi Manchurian. My niece started getting restless; she wanted everything in her hands, from the glasses to the plates and spoons. Just to pacify her, my SIL gave her a small piece from the Manchurian, cos that was the only item that had arrived. The moment she finishes that piece, she asked for one more and then one more and ate almost 5 to 6 pieces of the 10 or 12 pieces. We were all so surprised as it was quite spicy and we had to literally stop her from eating.

This same girl when she was about 2 and ½ years old, came home one day and asked what’s cooking for breakfast. I said idly. So she said ok, I will have some then I asked if she would like to have some sugar or chutney with it. I was stunned by her answer, she asked if she could have either Aavakkaya or Molagapodi!! Now she is 8 years old and her taste buds have not changed one bit!

Now let me get to the recipe:

What you’ll need

1. Cauliflower/Gobi – 1 Medium
2. Oil for deep frying

For the batter:

1. Maida/All Purpose Flour – 4 tbsp
2. Cornflour – 4 tbsp
3. Rice flour – 2 tbsp
4. Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
5. Salt to taste

For the sauce

1. Garlic – 1 or 2 cloves
2. Ginger – 1 small piece
3. Green Chilly – 1 finely chopped
4. Spring onions – 4 to 5 heads
5. Capsicum – 1 small (optional)
6. Tomato Sauce – 1 tbsp
7. Soya Sauce – 2 tsps
8. Chilli Sauce – 1 tsp
9. Cornflour – 1 tbsp
10. Salt to taste
11. Oil – 1 tbsp

Method

1. Separate the cauliflower into bite sized florets.
2. Put them in salted boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.

For the Manchurian

1. In a wide bowl, add the Maida, Cornflour, and rice flour and mix well.
2. Add salt and pepper powder and mix well.
3. Now add water and make into a batter of dropping consistency.
4. Heat oil for deep frying.
5. Drop the cauliflower florets into the batter and spoon them into the hot oil one by one. You can fry about 5 to 6 in a batch.
6. Cook on medium flame, till the outer batter is cooked and turns crispy. Drain on to a tissue and keep aside.

For the sauce:

1. Heat a Kadai with oil, add the green chillies, ginger and garlic and fry for a minute. Next add the spring onion whites and sauté.
2. Next add the chopped capsicum and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame.
3. Now add the tomato sauce, soya sauce, chilli sauce and salt sauté well.
4. Dissolve the cornflour in ½ a cup of water and add it. Stir well, till you get a semi solid, shiny consistency.
5. Now add the fried cauliflower florets and mix well.
6. Finally garnish with the spring onion greens.

Yummy Gobi Manchurian is ready!


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#10

Linking this to PJ’s Event Herbs and Flowers – Spring Onions hosted by me.

Also to Winter Carnival happening at Tickling Palates.

And to Flavors of China hosted by Kalyani started by Nayna.

37 comments:

Reva said...

Looks like restaurant made.... I love this Indo Chinese fusion dishes..:)
Yummy yum..
Reva

Unknown said...

Gobi manchurian looks superb...

Kalyani said...

you just made my day with that dish Kaveri - looks yummy ! do link to my Flavours of China event dear !

Kalyani
200th Post & Giveaway
Event Ends 30th Nov: Flavours of China

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Looks tempting and inviting

Priya Suresh said...

Give me that plate,feel like finishing it rite now..

vaishali sabnani said...

who does'nt relish such wonderful chinese..MM..MM..yum food..Kaveri..

hemalata said...

Mouthwatering gobi manchurian,looks very delicious.

chef and her kitchen said...

love this one a lot....these days everyone prefers spicy over sweet stuff

Nandinis food said...

The gobi manchurian looks very scrumptious! Yum!

fasi said...

luks delicious dear...yummy...

Amila said...

looks yummy!!

Prathima Rao said...

A true restaurant style manchurian..Simply irresistible!!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Indian Khana said...

Love this and looks so tempting ...yum

Srivalli said...

What an inviting plate!..looks very good

Vineetha Sush said...

This is my fav too,just becoz of deep frying I dont make it often ,but if somebody fries and gives me I will eat happily :)

Radhika said...

This is our favorite too. Love it anytime.

Suja Manoj said...

looks so inviting..my favorite

Julie said...

very delicious n super inviting!!
You have an award at my place,please collect it dear :-)
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

sushma said...

Looks delicious....tempting

Hari Chandana P said...

My fav recipe.. looks super yummy and tempting.. thanks for sharing dear.. nice clicks too !!
Indian Cuisine

vidhas said...

Mouth watering manchurians. We all love this. N Nice cicks,

The Pumpkin Farm said...

nice and well made, the ever popular

veena said...

Love this anytime...looks so very good!!!1

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

yum, yum!!!never can say no to this!!!!!

Unknown said...

Very perfectly done kaveri and I need to accept some children feel and like spicy recipes. My sis is one like that and she eats mango pickle without any rice or roti.

Christy Gerald said...

Manchurian luks super delish.luvly tasty try.

Sensible Vegetarian said...

I love it and this is a perfect party appetizer.

Vidhya said...

Like you we too always order Gobi Manchurian when dinning out.I love having this anytime and your manchurian is tempting me for some.

divya said...

Give me that plate,feel like finishing it rite now..

Shema George said...

one of my fav veggies dishes ...lovely recipe
LifeScoops

Swathi said...

Delirious gobi manchurian.

Cool Lassie said...

Truly irresistible dish!

Vardhini said...

Looks perfect .. I have blogged paneer manchurian which is similar too.


Vardhini
Checkout my 200th Post Giveaway
Event: Bake Fest
Event: Dish it Out - Soy and Tomatoes

Padmajha said...

I love this one.Looks nice :)

Archana said...

Looks so great. I want some. Will you give if I say please?

Aarthi said...

mouth is watering seeing this...awesome..

rekha said...

its yummyy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...