Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mooli Paratha


Mooli parathas are another of my favorite ones, after paneer and moong dal. Though moolis or radishes are available throughout the year in most places, but in winters you see loads and loads of fresh, white and tender moolis. The most common use of mooli in my household is in Sambar, hubby’s favorite. While I’m writing this post, mullangi sambar is simmering on the stove top . The other popular dish is mooli paratha. My daughter loves it and asks me to make for her lunch box whenever she sees that I have purchased mooli.

So today’s recipe is going to be my daughter’s mooli paratha:

Makes about 16 medium sized parathas

What you’ll need

For the stuffing

1. Radish/Mooli/Mullangi – 5 Medium sized
2. Green Chillies – 1 or 2 finely chopped
3. Chilly Powder – ½ tsp
4. Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
5. Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
6. Fresh Coriander Leaves – ½ bunch, finely chopped
7. Turmeric Powder – a pinch
8. Salt to taste
9. Cumin seeds
10. Oil – 2 tsps

For the dough

1. Wheat flour – 4 cups
2. Oil – 1 tbsp
3. Salt to taste
4. Water as required

Method

1. Make the dough as for rotis- make sure that the dough is not too hard nor sticky. It should be very pliable.

For the stuffing

2. Wash, peel and grate mooli in a fine grater. Squeeze out all the excess water from it and keep aside.
3. Heat a kadai with oil, add cumin seeds, once they change color, add finely chopped green chillies and fry.
4. Next add the squeezed mooli, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilly powder and garam masala powder and salt to taste. Mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring at regular intervals, till you feel there is absolutely no moisture.
5. Finally add the coriander leaves and mix well. Transfer into a bowl and allow to cool completely.

For making the parathas

1. For making the parathas, pinch out a lemon sized ball from the dough, roll out into a small disc. Place a spoonful of filling in the middle and bring the edges together to completely cover the filling. The edges should overlap slightly to seal the masala. Gently flatten the filled ball. Dust with flour and roll out to a flat disc of about 5-6 inches.
2. Heat a tava (griddle). Roast the paratha on medium heat till done on both the sides. Grease the paratha with a little oil while cooking.


Yummy mooli parathas are ready. Serve with raita and pickle of your choice.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#10

Also linking to Winter Carnival happening at Tickling Palates.

22 comments:

fasi said...

superb....paratha luks perfect, awesome

Raksha said...

Hey I love mooli parathas. CHeck my version too :)

schmetterlingwords said...

This is something new to me as we don't make it in our house. Sounds good. :)

Ms.Chitchat said...

Tasty parathas,perfectly prepared.

Priya Suresh said...

Mooli parathas looks prefect and highly inviting..

Binys Recipes said...

parathas looking fab and delicious

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Yummy!!! I make them a bit different!!! i make the dough with grated Mooli and roll them out!!!!

Pushpa said...

Yummy mooli parathas,great filling.

Anonymous said...

delicious and my favourite paratha too.
indu srinivasan
kattameethatheeka.blogspot.com

saffronstreaks said...

mooli parathas looks fabulous..filling and yummy

Julie said...

I love mooli parathas..yumm yum!!
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

Torviewtoronto said...

paratha looks wonderful and healthy

chef and her kitchen said...

I love this paratha for its flavor especially...yummm

Aruna Manikandan said...

Healthy and delicious paratha's :)

Vidhya said...

I too am a big fan of mooli paratha though I don't like the smell of uncooked mooli.Your parathas look so yummy and is making me hungry.

hemalata said...

Delicious n healthy parathas.

Archana said...

You stuff mooli? I never do that so this is an absolutely new & delicious way of doing them for me. Thanks.
Hosting an event which I am calling Back to our Roots Also hosting for Nov’11 Veggie Food for the Month_Raw Banana. Please do send me your entries.

veena said...

I like mooli paratha ,Love these pics!!!!

divya said...

look marvelous!

CL said...

I have my own version in the draft that will end up published sometime next month! Must give your version a spin too!

Suma Gandlur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suma Gandlur said...

Very flavorful rotis, I would say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...