Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sprouted Moong and Corn Salad




Salads and I are poles apart. I don’t know why I have this aversion towards salads. I do eat them once in a while but I can never relish what I am eating. It is not something that I crave for. I really don’t know how some people manage to live on just fruits and vegetables. One of my mom’s cousin lives on vegetable and fruit salads for 5 days of the week and only on the weekends she has any cooked food. Maybe that is the secret of her youthful skin. She must be above 55, but when my daughter met her for the first time she decided to call her Akka. Can you beat that!

So now I am also trying to incorporate salads in my diet whether I like it or not. I eat only fruits and vegetables for a day in a week. I have been doing it now for about 3 to 4 weeks and believe me it does feel good. It has curbed my cravings for sweets and other refined bakery items a lot. I hope I can continue this regime and make it a part of my lifestyle. Not that I want to be called akka at 50, but it does leave me feeling very happy that I could disciple my mind and tongue for at least a day.

So as part of those days, I prepare this salad, which I have grown to like. It is quite a filling and refreshing salad. And here is how I make it.



What you’ll need

1.       Sprouted Green Moong – ½ cup
2.       Boiled Sweet Corn kernels – ½ cup
3.       Carrot grated – 1 small
4.       Apple – ½ cut into small cubes
5.       Cucumber – ½ peeled and cut into small cubes
6.       Green Chillies – 1
7.       Juice of ½ a lemon
8.       Salt to taste

Method

In a large mixing bowl, add the sprouted moong, sweet corn, grated carrots, cubed apple, cubed cucumber and finely chopped chilly. Mix well.
Now add the lemon juice and salt to taste. Give it a good mix. Set aside for atleast 10 minutes before serving so that the flavors are well absorbed.
That’s it healthy and delicious salad is ready.



Note:

1.       Feel free to add other vegetables like tomatoes, onions, capsicum etc
2.       Also you could add fruits like pear, or pomegranate or segmented sweet lime, oranges etc.
3.       If you do not like to have raw sprouts, steam them just for about 3 to 4 minutes and then use.
4.   While making it for kids, avoid green chillies and use black pepper powder instead.

LLinking this salad to Priya's CWS - Moong Beans

Re posting two other recipes of mine for Priya's CWS - Moong Beans Event

Green Moong Sabzi with Dates



Green Moong and Mixed Veggie Pulao








33 comments:

Padhu Sankar said...

Love to have the whole bowl of salad

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Healthy and Super Good Recipe Kaveri.Luv it.

Indian Khana said...

Colorfu, healthy n yum...nice one

Tina said...

healthy and delicious salad...

aipi said...

A delightful n wholesome salad!
USMasala

Radhika said...

I run a mile looking at salads. Perfect snap Kaveri.

Vineetha Sush said...

I am the same kind of person..never eats salads..After all maybe I shud try this for a younger looking skin..he he

Alpana said...

My all time fav salad..........never tried with corn though.......thanks for sharing.......will try with corn surely.

Suja Manoj said...

Delicious salad,will surely try this..

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, wat a wonderful looking nutritious salad, well done Kaveri,thanks for sending dear..

Julie said...

Delicious and healthy salad,yummy!

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Delicious looking one, awesome.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Healthy and yummy salad,love the 2nd click.

Sangeetha M said...

hearty and yummy salad...beautiful clicks Kaveri..

Neha said...

Nice and healthy salad....Nice clicks too...

Amila said...

looks delicious....

Kalyani said...

yummy n healthy ! and congrats on winning the book, Kaveri !


Kalyani
My 200th Post & Giveaway
New event all this November: Flavours of China

Lifewithspices said...

wow nutritious..

chef and her kitchen said...

very dleicious salad,,looks yumm

Anusha said...

Yummy salad dear and congrats to you too on the award. You gt a nice space here and i m happy to follow you

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

Healthy ingredients & tasty salad, great recipe!

Archana said...

Love the salad. Can have all of it. The salad habit just grows on you and you will enjoy them in no time.
Hosting an event which I am calling Back to our Roots Also hosting for Nov’11 Veggie Food for the Month_Raw Banana. Please do send me your entries.

Pushpa said...

Love sprouts.Refreshing and yummy salad.

Swathi said...

Sprouted moong bean salad looks delicious.

Unknown said...

Very healthy salad kaveri. I love it and want to grab the entire bowl.

Vidhya said...

The salad looks so refreshing and energizing.

Faseela said...

Healthy superb salad.....



Happily following you.........do drop at my space........

Me too from Plakkad dist......cherpulassery... near ottappalam

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Its like you learn my mind! You appear to grasp so much approximately this, like you wrote the guide
in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with a few percent to power
the message house a bit, but other than that, that is fantastic blog.

A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.
My webpage web hosting delhi

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kaveri Venkatesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaveri Venkatesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

School Sex Free Sex Movies

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...