Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Til Ke Laddoo/Ellu Urundai




Having lived in Chennai for most of my life, I never knew what winter was like. Then one fine day, my father got transferred to a place called Ghaziabad near Delhi. I and my brother were very excited to be going to some city in the Northern part of India. We lived there for around 3 years and it was during this time that I actually came to know how it feels in winters.

I used to always envy my cousins living in Delhi for their winter uniforms: Smart woollen skirts or tunics with belt and tie, Sweaters and the best part blazers. So finally, I got to wear the the blazer. We used to leave home by about 6: 45 am and at that time, it would be quite dark outside, freezing and so much of mist and fog. On certain mornings we just did not feel like getting out of the warmth of our cosy razai. But still I love it rather than the sweltering heat. By around 5 pm it would start getting dark, the days were too short and nights very long. I long for those wintry nights. 

Come winter, and you could see loads and loads of the freshes vegetables like the Red Carrots, Raddishes, Turnips, Cauliflowers, Green Peas, Methi Leaves, Spinach etc. It was a norm in most houses to cook with these seasonal veggies. Dishes like Mooli Ka Paratha, Gobhi Ka Paratha, Gajar Ka Halwar, Makki ki Roti/ Sarson Ka Saag (recipes will follow) are few of the most common recipes that were dished out. My mom learnt a lot of recipes there, which we still continue to make.

Basically, winters are times when one loves to relax, laze around, enjoy a hearty meal and have a good night’s sleep. So this is exactly what I and my brother did when we lived Ghaziabad. 

Til ka Laddoo is a popular sweet in North India, generally made during winters especially for Sankranthi. Til and jaggery are said to keep the body warm from within. During winters, the markets in North India are flooded with different varieties of sweets made out of til like Gajak, revadi, etc. These healthy laddoos can be enjoyed as a dessert or as a healthy snack. So here is a simple recipe to keep you warm this winter:



What you’ll need

1.       White Til/Sesame seeds/Ellu – 1 cup
2.       Powdered Jaggery  - ½ cup
3.       Ghee – to grease

Method

1.       Dry roast the sesame seeds till light brown in color.
2.       Heat a kadai. Add the powdered jaggery and just enough water for the jaggery to dissolve, about ¼ to ½ cup.
3.       Let the jaggery dissolve completely. Strain for impurities and pour it back into the kadai.
4.       Let the jaggery boil on medium flame till soft ball consistency (Thakkali paagu) is reached.
5.       To test the syrup consistency, add a drop of the syrup into a bowl of water. Now gather that drop in the water with your fingers and try to roll into a ball. If you can make the ball then the right consistency has been achieved else let it boil for some more time. Keep checking every 2 to 3 minutes.
6.       Now add the roasted sesame seeds and mix well, until all the sesame seeds are coated with the jaggery syrup.
7.       Remove the above mixture into another plate.
8.       Now, grease your hands with a little ghee and start shaping them into balls.



That’s it, yummy and healthy laddoos are ready.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#10

Also linking it to the Winter Carnival at Tickling Palates.

34 comments:

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Healthy and delicious looking ladoos,perfectly made ...

Neha said...

Your write up made me nostalgic....Ladoos looks yummy...

Nisha said...

Nice looking ladoos

vaishali sabnani said...

Coming from Delhi...I admit even I am nostalgic...those school uniforms...ah..n perhaps the winter setting in here ...I too have lazed t day in that cozy razai...:))...loving these ladoos Kaveri.

Vardhini said...

My mom makes this .. yummy.

Vardhini
Checkout my 200th Post Giveaway
Event: Bake Fest
Event: Dish it Out - Soy and Tomatoes

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Lovely one Kaveri and loved your write up.

chef and her kitchen said...

very delicious laddus...looks nice

Unknown said...

Delicious,crunchy ladoo........

vidhas said...

I love elluurandi.looks delicious.

sushma said...

Wowwwwww one of my fav lodoo. Nice presentation...

Radhika said...

I love ellurundai very much. Easy to make too.

Archana said...

Love these.

Hosting an event which I am calling Back to our Roots Also hosting for Nov’11 Veggie Food for the Month_Raw Banana. Please do send me your entries.

Priya Suresh said...

I dont bother to munch few rite now, quite an addictive urundais na..

Padhu Sankar said...

Looks so perfect and lovely

Kalyani said...

looks yum !


Kalyani
200th Post & Giveaway
R u Ready to join the Magic Mingle?

faseela said...

wow.this z my favorite.........longing to get 1 right now......drooling here dear

Prathima Rao said...

Healthy, nutty laddoos!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Ganga Sreekanth said...

Yummy, healthy and delicious ladoos.

Aarthi said...

Delicious..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Chitra said...

My hubby's fav :)

faseela said...

Dear u have an award waiting at my space Here goes the link
http://faseelanoushad.blogspot.com/2011/11/versatile-blogger-hundred-hearts-award.html

aipi said...

This is my childhood fav, love the nutty, earthy taste of these laddos :)
USMasala

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Laddoo looks scrumptious!

Julie said...

Very well prepared n perfect ones..my fav too!!
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

Padmajha said...

This is my favorite too. Looks yum

Gayathri Kumar said...

Perfect Laddus...

anthony stemke said...

These ladoos look wonderful.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Delicious Ladoos!!

saffronstreaks said...

til ke laddoo are my fav and looks so lovely..perfect

veena said...

Very healthy!!!!love these

Suma Gandlur said...

Very yummy laddus.

Anonymous said...

Remarkable! Its actually awesome paragraph, I have got much
clear idea on the topic of from this post.
My homepage :: piano lessons

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a really good post. Finding the time and actual effort
to make a good article… but what can I say… I hesitate a whole
lot and don't seem to get nearly anything done.
my site > Free Iphone

Anonymous said...

I have been surfing online more than three hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It's pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.
Also visit my page ... clean my pc

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...