Thogayal is a condiment prepared usually with coconut, lentils and spices. You could also add some vegetables to make it healthier. The common vegetables added to thogayals are carrots, ridge gourd, pumpkin etc. They are similar to the regular chutney but are more thicker and are usually mixed with rice and had. They pair very well with Molagootal, Molagooshyam and also with curd rice. Now off to the recipe
What you’ll need
- Ridge Gourd/Peerkangai – 1 big (approx. 3 cups when peeled and chopped)
- Urad Dal – 2 tbsp
- Dried Red Chillies – 2
- Asafoetida – a small piece
- Tamarind – marble sized ball
- Scraped Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 10 Sprigs
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Peel, wash and chop the ridge gourd roughly.
- Heat a Kadai with oil add the asafoetida, wait till it puffs up well.
- Add urad dal and red chillies, fry on medium flame till the dal turns golden.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add the ridge gourd pieces and tamarind sauté till the ridge gourd pieces are cooked.
- Finally add salt.
- Allow to cool.
- Transfer the asafoetida, urad dal, and red chillies to the mixie jar and give a pulse.
- Then add the coconut, coriander leaves, tamarind and the ridge gourd pieces and grind to a smooth paste, using little water if required.
- Check for seasoning, add salt if required. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a small frying pan with a tsp of oil, temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Pour this over the thogayal and serve with rice or idly/dosa.
Do not add the salt while fry the ridge gourd, add at the end, as the ridge gourd will ooze out lot of water, and reduce.