Chutneys are an integral part of Indian cooking. I know of many households, where a normal day in the kitchen would begin with the preparation of the chutney. Why not, a good chutney would take your routine idly/dosa breakfast to completely different level.
So here is a simple yet delicious chutney for those rush hour mornings or lazy evenings. Pair it up with your favorite tiffin. I must say that this is a great spread on bread as well.
What you’ll need
- Mint Leaves – 1 cup, tightly packed
- Scraped Coconut – ¾ cup, tightly packed
- Green Chilly – 1
- Tamarind – small piece
- Channa Dal/Kadala Paruppu – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Oil – ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Wash the leaves well and allow to drain.
- Heat a small kadai with a tsp of oil, add the channa dal and fry till the dal turns golden.
- Now add the tamarind, slit green chilly and the pudina leaves along with turmeric powder and fry till the leaves are wilted. Set aside to cool.
- Grind the above with the coconut into a smooth paste adding water as required.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Heat a frying pan with oil and splutter with mustard seeds. Pour over the chutney.
Delicious chutney is ready. Enjoy with idly or dosa.