Monday, January 19, 2015

Vazhakkai Thoran



Thoran is a dry vegetable dish prepared with a variety of vegetables like beans, carrot, cabbage, beetroot etc. Whenever I get vazhakkai I prefer to make the mezhukkupuratti along with chenai. After a long time I prepared this thoran and we all loved it. It pairs well with Sambar, Rasam and Moru Kootan. I personally love it with Rasam.



What you'll need
  1. Vazhakkai/Plantain/Raw Banana – 4 small
  2. Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
  3. Salt to taste
  4. Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
  5. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
  6. White Urad dal/Ulutham Paruppu – 1 tsp
  7. Curry Leaves – few

Coarse Grind
  1. Green Chillies – 1 or 2
  2. Fresh Scraped Coconut – ½ cup

Method
  1. Peel the skin of the raw banana and chop them into small cubes. Keep the pieces immersed in a bowl with water and few spoons of buttermilk until use.
  2. Heat a Kadai with oil. Add mustard seeds, once they splutter add the urad dal and fry till the dal turns golden, now add the curry leaves and the drained raw banana pieces.
  3. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Add about ½ cup of water, cover with lid and cook on medium flame.
  4. Keep stirring once in a while to avoid burning.
  5. In the meanwhile, coarsely grind the coconut and green chillies. Do not add water.
  6. Once the vegetables are done, remove lid and roast on medium flame for another 3 to 4 minutes.
  7. Now add the crushed coconut and green chilly mix and mix well. Fry for a couple of minutes. 
  8. Remove from heat and serve hot with sambar/rasam or moru kootan.




8 comments:

Julie said...

one of my fav,Kaveri..looks yumm !!

great-secret-of-life said...

looks perfect.. one of my fav.. tempting me too much

Rajani said...

Vazhakkai thoran is a good way to cook vazhakkai. I want to make it this way, the next time I cook this vegetable.

Rafeeda AR said...

This one is my favorite vege... I could sit and eat that whole paathram now itself...

Beena said...

lOOKS DELICIOUS THORAN

cookbookjaleela said...

Nice side dish

Anusha said...

The vazhakai is literally popping out of the screen and calling out to me. I wish i could eat this with sambar sadam right away

Hema said...

Love this thoran with sambar rice, I do it the same way, except I add chopped green chilly and just grated coconut and call it poriyal..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...